Oct. 30, 2015

SAN DIEGO – The San Diego Gulls took their first of back-to-back contests vs. the Stockton Heat, American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate of the Calgary Flames.

The Gulls and Heat traded opportunities early in the first period before San Diego got into penalty trouble, sending multiple San Diego players to the box and putting the Gulls on the five-on-three penalty kill for a full two minutes, and a five-on-four penalty kill for an additional two minutes.

After killing both penalties during the entire four minutes of man-down time, the Gulls and Heat continued to force opportunities, including multiple odd man rushes, but ultimately ended the first period scoreless.

Both teams continued to struggle finding the back of the net for the majority of the second period before Heat forward Emile Poirier took an interference penalty at 14:38 and Gulls rookie Nick Ritchie converted on the power play. Defenseman Brandon Montour and forward Max Friberg both added assists on Ritchie’s second period goal, San Diego’s sixth power play goal of the season.

The Heat battled back, netting their first of the game, a shorthanded goal at 15:53 by left wing Bryce Van Brabant, but the Gulls didn’t settle for long, regaining the lead only :28 seconds later. The Gulls’ second of the game was put in by forward Max Friberg, also a power play goal, assisted by Antoine Laganiere.

The Gulls changed out goaltenders to start the third period, replacing starter John Gibson with backup Matt Hackett. Stockton forward Bill Arnold notched his second of the season with 4:03 remaining in regulation, forcing overtime which ultimately ended scoreless.

San Diego forward Mike Sgarbossa recorded a shootout tally and goaltender Matt Hackett stopped four-of-four shootout attempts, giving the Gulls the victory, their fifth of the season.

The Gulls (5-1-0-0) and Heat (2-2-0-1) match up again tomorrow, Oct. 31 (5:35 p.m.), for their second of back-to-back games at Valley View Casino Center. Visit www.sandiegogulls.com for more information.