Gulls Earn Point in Overtime Loss

Gulls Earn Point, Fall in Overtime

Troy Terry nets 10th point in seventh game

Jan 24, 2020

The Gulls began their back-to-back set with a 4-3 overtime loss to the Grand Rapids Griffins tonight at Van Andel Arena. Despite the setback San Diego has picked up standings points in six of seven games (5-1-1-0) and 10 of their last 14 overall (7-4-2-1). The Gulls now own a 27-10-5-1 all-time record against Central Division opponents.


San Diego received goals from Max Jones (PPG), Kiefer Sherwood and Troy Terry in the contest, while

Anthony Stolarz made 34 saves in regulation and overtime, including a penalty shot save. Stolarz also picked up his fourth helper of the season to lead all AHL goaltenders in assists.


Midway through the opening period, Justin Kloos attempted a one-timer in the offensive zone but couldn’t connect. After getting rid of the puck, Griffins left wing Givani Smith went in for a late hit on Kloos, resulting in an interference minor and the first power-play opportunity of the game.


It took just 44 seconds for Max Jones to capitalize on the man advantage, scoring his second goal of the season at the 11:25 mark of the first frame. Sprong’s quick pass from the left circle deflected off Jones and into the net, giving Sprong points in four straight (1-3=4). Chris Wideman also picked up an assist, matching Sprong’s 14 helpers this season.


After each team picked up a penalty as time was winding down in the period, the Gulls doubled their lead on 4-on-4 action. Josh Mahura pushed a player off the puck in the defensive zone, creating an odd-man rush going the other way. Brendan Guhle passed the puck to Kiefer Sherwood on the right wing of the ice. Sherwood picked up his 11th goal of the season when he blasted the puck with a distant wrist shot, beating Pickard blocker-side with 4:46 remaining in the period.


The Gulls held a 2-0 lead heading into the first intermission, trailing 10-9 in shots on net.


Grand Rapids was whistled on a slashing call to begin the second period, giving San Diego their second power play of the contest. A missed pass resulted in a one-on-one chance for Griffins center Chase Pearson and he split two Gulls defensemen, shot across the grain and brought the game within one at 2:11 of the middle frame.


The second stanza continued in favor of the Grand Rapids as they tied the game on a power-play goal by Filip Zadina at the 8:44 mark the period. After a few passes, Griffins defenseman Dennis Cholowski set Zadina up for a one-timer and he capitalized on the chance. The power-play goal halted the Gulls season-long streak of 20 consecutive penalties killed.


With just under four seconds left in the second period, Dominic Turgeon was slashed on a breakaway by Wideman and awarded a penalty shot. His attempt all alone was denied by Stolarz the second penalty shot against this season and the ninth all-time against San Diego goaltender (7-for-9).


San Diego retook the lead 6:24 into the third period on a goal by Troy Terry. The play started in the Gulls zone when Stolarz made a save and directed the rebound to Terry in the slot, creating an odd-man rush. Terry brought the puck all the way down the ice and shot the puck between Pickard’s blocker and leg pad, finding the back of the net for his third goal of the campaign. Stolarz earned the only assist on the score, his fourth of the season.


It took Grand Rapids 2:55 to answer as the game was tied for the third time tonight. At the blueline, Brian Lashoff made a hard pass to Zadina, who redirected the puck up and above Stolarz blocker for his second score of the contest. Taro Hirose picked up the secondary assist on the tying goal.


Two minor penalties on Grand Rapids, an elbowing minor and a tripping infraction, gave San Diego 52 seconds of a 5-on-3 power play. The Gulls produced several scoring chances but were unable to net a goal and retake the lead.


With less than a minute remaining in regulation, Kloos and Simon Benoit took penalties separated by five seconds giving the Griffins their own shot to take a commanding lead. San Diego successfully stopped the opportunity through the 38 remaining seconds in regulation including an incredible pad save by Stolarz with one second remaining.


Grand Rapids entered overtime with 1:17 remaining of a two-man advantage, still a 5-on-3 due to the penalties. Zadina fired another slapshot from the top of the circle and the puck caromed off Stolarz to Griffins captain Matthew Ford who found the back of an unprotected net for the overtime winner.


San Diego and Grand Rapids will conclude the back-to-back tomorrow, Jan. 25 (4 p.m. PT) prior to the AHL’s All-Star Break featuring Gulls defenseman Chris Wideman and netminder Anthony Stolarz.

Back to All